Sunday, August 24, 2008

Please Leave A Message

Mobile Phones. Ever remember when and how you learnt how to use them? The first time you figured out how to call a person, the first time you knew how to save a contact, the first time you learnt how to send a text message and last but not least, the first time learning how to leave a voice message? I couldn't remember how I had manage to gain knowledge of using the phone, but I do remember very well my first time encountering leaving a voice message. And it isn't a memory I'm very proud of.

I couldn't remember exactly what age I was but I was very young; about the range of 5 to 9 years. My family were out doing I don't know what. They left me at home alone most probably because I told them I'll stay at home and take care of the house (at that age I felt really good being independent). I am, afterall, a "big girl". I always loved being praised as "big girl". I have no idea why.


Anyway, back to being home alone. It got to a point where my single-story house felt too lonely and too empty. So I decided to call my father to see when he'll be back. The phone rang and rang and rang and no one answered. And finally, a nice lady voice operator took up the phone! Below is a result of what happened.



Phone: [Ring...Ring...Ring...] This is the voice mail box of 012xxxxxxx. Please leave a message after the tone. Beep!


Young Me: Huh? Wait! I don't know how to leave a voice message...


Phone: [No reply]


Young Me: Can you tell me how?


Phone: [No reply]


Young Me: [Thinking] This mobile phone lady isn't friendy at all. [sigh] [put down phone]


I am not sure whether the young me told the voice mail box lady if I'm lonely or not. I really hope not. Later in the day when my parents came back, my father was very amused. He came to me with an amused smile and said, "What do you mean you don't know how to leave a voice message? Just talk like that lah."


I didn't understand what he meant at that time. Now, I do. Very, very crystal clear. Oh, how embarrassing!

Emoticon from Emoodicon

0 words of others:

Post a Comment